Our comprehensive Elementary and Middle School program provides young minds with a learning environment like no other. We combine dynamic curriculum, professional teaching and support, a strong community, and special services into powerful, effective schooling. Driven by our mission statement, the program seeks to prepare students for the challenges and complexities of an ever-changing world.
In our Elementary School program (K-6), students are provided the groundwork necessary for academic and personal success. The foundation skills of learning to read well, to write clearly, to reason soundly, and to speak effectively are stressed. Creative expression is encouraged, and responsible, effective study habits are developed. The Elementary School program stresses academic excellence, with a balance of enrichment opportunities and an emphasis on character development. The program provides a strong foundation for a child’s total education in a challenging yet supportive environment.
We recognize how important the middle school years are in a child's cognitive development, so our Middle School program (grades 7-8) team of teachers finds meaningful ways to challenge students' energy and intellect. A well-designed, sequential curriculum, allowing increased freedom and demanding greater responsibility, has been developed for these years. The program is challenging and departmentalized, with grade level homeroom teachers.
The Elementary and Middle School programs consist of the four core academic courses of English/Language Arts, Math, Science, and History. Students may also take art or music as a full-year elective course. In order to meet the state’s physical education requirement, students are also required to have a plan for some type of exercise or fitness activities. For students in grades 3, 4, and 5 who are at or above grade level in all subjects, they have the option of taking French, Spanish, Latin, or Chinese as an elective. Elective courses are self-contained, mastery-based, and are graded Pass/Fail.
- Courses are developed from the ground up with rich, challenging and engaging content, and designed specifically for online delivery and individualized learning.
- Lessons are supplemented with traditional materials, including award-winning textbooks, CDs, videos, and hands-on items that complement online learning and allow the widest variety of students to master lesson objectives.
- The program is delivered through an easy to use, robust Online School (OLS) with the tools and technology you need to manage your account, lesson plans, attendance, and schedule, and to communicate with teachers.
Superb Teaching and Support
- Each student is assigned to a state-certified teacher who assists the Learning Coach (usually a parent) with daily lessons, manages the student's Individualized Learning Plan, monitors progress, and focuses on each student's individual problem areas.
- Customer care and technical support representatives are committed to providing timely help when you need it.
Critical Academic Services
- Comprehensive orientation sessions get you and your student off to a successful start with OLS training, Q&A sessions, peer-mentoring, and more.
- An Individualized Learning Plan for each student outlines academic objectives, documents strengths and challenges, and sequences the student's course work for maximum success.
- Diagnostic assessments for grades 3–5 in English and Math pinpoint proficiency levels, guide the creation of your student's Individualized Learning Plan, and allow us to measure progress over the school year.
The Learning Coach Role
The parent (or other responsible adult), working in conjunction with the teacher, serves as "Learning Coach," helping facilitate the student's progress through the daily lessons, and working to modify the pace and schedule as necessary. As Learning Coach, you can expect to spend 3–5 hours per day supporting your child's education. Your child will spend 5–6 hours per day on coursework and homework, which most parents believe is "just right."
While you play an active role as Learning Coach, your student's teacher manages all facets of the instructional experience and communicates with you via e-mail, telephone, and online meetings. Teachers remain constantly involved to monitor progress, ensure mastery, and develop specific intervention plans if necessary.
We're Behind You All the Way
If you're like most parents, your excitement about taking an active role in your children's education is probably mixed with a little apprehension. We understand this and have specifically designed our program to give you the tools, skills, and support you need.
- Suggested lesson plans are provided to you each week, which update automatically as your child progresses. You can vary the lesson plan to accommodate your child's pace or abilities.
- Our online scheduling and management tools make it easy to move things around while ensuring your child stays on track.
- We also provide an array of practical advice, tips, and support through orientation, ongoing training, peer-mentoring, and more.
How do I get started?
Visit our How to Enroll section for more information about how to start the enrollment process.